On this page, we feature collections of posts and special series of posts.
The Childhood Roots of Health Inequity
In 2015, the Health Equity Committee of the APHA Medical Care Section organized a special invited panel session at the APHA Annual Meeting in Denver. We then produced a special series of blog posts about each presenter’s talk. Click the titles below to read each one.
- The Childhood Roots of Health Inequity, Part 1: Dr. Paula Braveman
- The Childhood Roots of Health Inequity, Part 2: Dr. Donald Barr
- The Childhood Roots of Health Inequity, Part 3: Dr. Kerith Conron
- The Childhood Roots of Health Inequity, Part 4: Dr. Jennifer Manly
Special Focus: Primary Care
We write a lot about primary care here. Click this link to see all posts categorized under primary care, or check out some of the most notable posts below.
- Reducing Ambulatory Malpractice and Safety Risk: Results of the Massachusetts PROMISES Project
- Preventing Health Care that Almost Nobody Needs
- Getting recommended preventive care: costs aren’t the only barrier
- The Intersection of Religion, Female Empowerment, and Access to Reproductive Healthcare
- Trying to reduce unnecessary emergency visits? First, strengthen our primary care system
- Primary care is a team sport
- Hostility during training: Primary care disparagement
- Freezing or boiling? Measuring workplace climate in primary care
- Tools to improve coordination in primary care
- Is care coordination the magic bullet in primary care?
Special Focus: Opiods
As the opioid crisis has worsened into a full-blown public health emergency, The Medical Care Blog has published a substantial number of posts on the topic. Here is a selection:
- What’s the difference between opioid use, misuse, and addiction?
- In the fight against the opioid epidemic, states should update their needle and syringe access laws
- Why Aren’t We Expanding Medicaid to Address the Opioid Epidemic?
- To adequately address the opioid epidemic, we need policies supported by evidence
- Patterns of Opioid Use and Risk of Opioid Overdose
- Chronic pain, opioids, and medical marijuana
- Economic Burden of the Opioid Epidemic
- Seeking Clarity on Opioid Prescribing
- Abuse-Deterrent Formulations: A Solution to the Problem
- Promoting Primary Prevention of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing addiction at the local level
- Patterns of Buprenorphine-Naloxone Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder